Sunday, January 5, 2014

Creating My Learning Log



    I began my learning log last semester. I’m using it to store content for presentation to the class. I have also created a website to store all my work from my graduate studies. The benefit of using this learning log is that it comes equipped with a ready-made RSS feed. This feed is convenient for my professors in that by subscribing to my RSS feed, the professor knows when I’ve included a new submission. The downside of such a platform is that its navigational capacity is somewhat limited.

    I would encourage my classmates to create their portfolio websites sooner rather than later as they progress through this program. The university has provided numerous examples of submitted portfolios which serve as a great starting point. Starting the website early allows us to dynamically update the AECT mapping portion of the portfolio which will keep the content organized in a central location. I would also encourage my classmates to purchase their own domain and server space. The domain can be purchased for about $10 while minimal server space costs about $50 a year. This initial investment will pay dividends in the long run in that you are not at the mercy of university servers to update your content. 

    Creating a learning log aligns with the AECT Standard 2.3, “Computer-Based Technologies” in that we are using a microprocessor-based resource to create and deliver material. Additionally, by creating material with a built in RSS feed, we are able to share our work with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment