Friday, August 14, 2015

Module 6 Reflection




Map Comparison

 

It’s amazing how education shapes and morphs your opinion of things.

My second concept map reflects the changes that have occurred in my thinking over the past seven weeks. While my first was a series of separate points interconnected with various lines, my second presents a much more holistic approach based on my new way of thinking. Last week I wrote about my realization that the best thing about online education is that it truly provides the 1 to 1 student to teacher ratio within the class. That realization truly changed things for me. Suddenly all the pieces fell into place. So much so that this second assignment is less a concept map and more a concept graphic just as, in my opinion, adult education is less a series of individual tools and much more like a mosaic where individual tiles are assembled to create a larger picture.

The 24/7 instructor and student lie in the center of this graphic. Their symbiotic relationship dictates the success of a course.  The instructor must provide the material to the students, but equally as important, the students need to participate and provide material and feedback to the instructor and to each other. Only by this occurring can the class truly be successful. 

This central concept is surrounded by four cornerstones of a successful class. The class must be organized with the students knowing not only what is expected of them, but when it is expected. The virtual classroom must be positive environment, where all members are respectful of others. All members of the class should be engaged, each contributing their shared experiences. Lastly, each must be prepared. This is to say that the instructor should be ready to present the material and respond to feedback and the students must be prepared to learn and actively participate. 


Future Impact


This course has solidified, in my mind, the type of teacher I want to be and the amount of work that lies ahead. As previously mentioned, I intend on completing all modules of the course I developed this semester in order to offer it to up and coming educators. During my time in this course and in the program, I’ve observed my peers struggle, or worse simplify, because the learning curves for the various software tools were so steep. I want to help with this and feel my IT background can help. I was a technical instructor. Now, I believe I’m ready to be a teacher of those who teach. While my undergraduate degree is in IT, I had already taught myself the tools I used to obtain that degree way before I ever applied to UMass. By doing this, I had already made all the mistakes that could possibly be made, and nothing solidifies knowledge like failure. 

In many ways, I’m glad that this course was my final undertaking before submitting my portfolio. I entered the program with a deep desire to bring the best educational tools to my “wrench guys” at the nuclear power plant. While I still want to do that, I’ve discovered that there is another group of individuals who could be helped by my diversity of knowledge. While my initial desires are profitable, I honestly believe that training those who will train the next generation may actually be more fulfilling.

No comments:

Post a Comment