Monday, September 29, 2014

Module 2 Reflection



     I spent the first week of this module at the Institute for Nuclear Power Operators receiving my certification as an instructor. As can be imagined, there was a classroom portion of the program offered in the morning and the afternoons were reserved for presentations. What I find fascinating is how closely my practices fit with my chosen educational philosophy.
     I chose for the topic of my paper the Cognitive Theory of Multimedia Learning. It is, I feel, the future of education. I gave a presentation on the atom. I had created the presentation two semesters ago in the EDTECH 513 class. There are very few words in the presentation. I specifically created infographics because, in general, I abhor words on a Power Point slide, and this gets to my point.
     I believe in the power of multimedia learning. Not only do I believe it, but I practice it. Therein lies the rub. Creating a good multimedia presentation for the class is hard work. Not only must the designer create substantial and appropriate info-graphics, but the presenter must work without a script. While this was fairly easy given the topic was the atom, when addressing a more complicated topic, this can be quite difficult and takes practice. Presenting in front of a classroom is, at the best of times, working without a net, and if sufficient rehearsal has not taken place, it can be quite embarrassing. The results obtained, however, are quite remarkable.
     Suffice to say, in the world of nuclear instructors, words on a slide is a standard practice. Each presenter, besides myself, gave a presentation with loads and loads of information written on each slide. Quite simply, the practice is ineffective. I could watch my peers reading the slide while the presentation was being made, or worse, tuning out altogether. However, when I made my presentation, they were engaged and focused on me. It truly demonstrated the power of Mayer’s multimedia principles. Rest assured that each individual in the class was perfectly conversant in atoms and sub-atomic particles. I was not teaching them anything they didn’t know, but still they paid complete attention.
     I would encourage my classmates to read some of the things that Richard Mayer has written. He absolutely has his finger on the pulse of the modern learner. I discovered while researching the paper that the term “Digital Natives” is used to describe present day students. I have always referred to them as the You Tube Generation. These are individuals who expect well packaged information. If they are presented with anything less, their minds wander. The goal of any learning environment should be knowledge transfer and knowledge retention, but what my INPO experience has taught me is that a little extra work yields exponential benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment