Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Module 3 Reflection



     Moments of clarity do not occur often, but I believe I’ve had one. For my entire time in the EDTECH program, I’ve been pondering why teachers have such difficulty fully utilizing technology within their classrooms. Let me preface this by saying that I am not a teacher. I am an instructor at a nuclear power plant. Therefore I approach the problem from a slightly different direction. Having said that, I find the nuclear power industry encountering the same issues with technology as their academic peers in that the industry wants to put technology into classrooms, but is at a loss when attempting to utilize that technology to its full capability.
     Initially, I thought the issue was due to a lack of training. My reasoning lead me to believe that if teachers and instructors could only be educated on the capabilities of the technology, they would join in a giant Huzzah and then go off and do great things. During my second semester in the program, I found it was more than that. Educators, I found, were less computer savvy than I had first thought. True, there are some exceptions, but quite often my peers in the program admitted that their students knew more about the tech in the classroom than they did. Therefore, it wasn’t just a lack of knowledge of the tech’s capabilities, it was a user issue.
     Then, during the past summer, I encountered a new term, Digital Native. Digital natives are those individuals who have never known life without widespread technology and the internet. I admit to having not previously considered changing generations and how being born into a world where every bit of information known to human kind was at the tips of your fingers would change perceptions, but what fascinated me the most about these individuals is that they actually learn differently than those who were born in earlier times.
     At first I thought the author ought to have his head examined. “Learning is learning,” I thought, but recently, during my moment of clarity, I’ve discovered this to be exactly true and that it’s me who also learns like a digital native. Classical learning and learning theory is a linear process. When a teacher assigns Chapter 6 of a text, the student opens their text, reads Chapter 6 front to back, and then presumably answers test questions based on the reading; start at the beginning, end at the end, nice and neat, very linear. I, in my second go round in education have not done that. It’s partially due to time constraints and partially due to the fact that I wish to avoid the spinach of articles and prepositions and go right to the dessert of cold hard facts. I study by scanning the chapter and then searching for specific terms to focus my attention. This type of learning is known as hypertext learning. It is how digital natives learn best.
     In my opinion, this is where the breakdown in the classroom occurs. Most teachers in the classroom are not digital natives. Moreover, they may or may not have been required to have computer courses in their pursuit of an education degree.  Thus most educators are rudimentary computer users, but more importantly, they are linear thinkers still trapped in a “Read Chapter 6” world.  The learning theories they’ve learned and adopted were created early on, and their application of those theories has always been of a linear nature. To be sure, the tenets of these classical learning theories still apply. A digital native will seek the praise of mentor as much as a student of the 1970’s. However, to fully utilize technology, the classroom needs to be set free and students need to be trusted to find their own information. Considering the evolution of distance learning and the increasing cost of sending students off to a brick and mortar university, learning by Google may become the norm and not the exception. Educators need to be shown and understand how their students learn best and then trust those students to do the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment