Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Module 5 Reflection



     For me, this course was a revelation. It was my first formal introduction to educational theory. I went in expecting the material to be bone dry. In this respect, I was pleasantly surprised. While I still consider some of the principles presented overcooked and complicated. The precepts behind the principles are sound and common sense based. I’ve gained a great appreciation of the teaching process, which was something I didn’t have before. Most importantly, I’ve learned about Connectivism.
     I am exclusively self-taught. I didn’t succeed in college my first go round because frankly, I couldn’t be bothered to show for class. Despite that, I am completely suited for independent distance learning. I am happiest when I am self-teaching. Before this class, I considered what I did unique and not suited for a classroom environment. What I’ve discovered is that I’m actually on the cutting edge of learning theory.
     I do wonder though where Connectivism would be without the advent of social media. One of the things I have left to research is when the theories of Connectivism were formed. (after or before My Space) Social Media, I feel, has made a big splash in the education world, but it is important for educators to know that such networks already existed prior to the internet. This, in my mind, lends greater credibility to the theory. Before the internet, there were bulletin boards where people would log in to and exchange information. Sociability and informational exchange are nothing new, but Connectivism theory adds an important ingredient to the mix; one of viability.
     This viability component represents a vital portion of the theory and I was glad to see that one of the roles of the educator was teach the students how to determine viability. Being married to a brilliant journalist who has been blogged out of a job, I can appreciate the necessity of a litmus test for each node. There are a great many brilliant individuals supplying the internet with amazing information. Unfortunately, there are an equal number of individuals flooding it with poorly researched, poorly written content. For Connectivism to function, learners must know the difference between the two. I recall in my first semester of distance learning being part of team writing a paper. One of my teammates actually used Wikipedia as a source. I nearly swallowed my tongue. He clearly had not been taught the difference between a viable source and a corrupt one. Because the internet is such an integral part of today’s learning environment, these distinctions must be made early and often in the education process.
     Lastly this class has given me a lead for my doctoral entrance paper. Part of the application is to have a paper published in an education journal. Heretofore, I didn’t feel as if I had anything to contribute to the education community. I am, after all, and Engineering Instructor at a nuclear power plant without a degree in education, however, I now believe I can contribute to the dialogue. Where I may not be completely immersed in the education world, I do know computers and computer games. I plan on combining this knowledge with my new found knowledge of Connectivism to move the process forward. The principles of Connectivism dovetail nicely with gaming principles. Together, I think, they can move things forward to create a more intelligent next generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment